Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hair We Go Again







Hair we go again….
By Tiffaney K. Draper
9/8/09

Check out the trailer for Good Hair. http://www.goodhairmovie.net/

So the title of this blog is clichĂ© I know. But I must get this much off my chest. I wear my hair sans-chemicals. Now whether you define this as natural or not is up to you. I prefer the texture of my hair when it is curly, but I love the way it feels when it has some heat to it. We know this as a “press.” I found that when I permed (“relaxed”) my hair, it was always thin, oily, and prone to breakage. It took an experienced stylist to let me know that my hair was a grade that did not require a perm to straighten. Shocked, I looked at her as confused as ever and replied, “What are YOU going to do to my edges?” Ladies, you know how we feel about our “kitchens.”

Why had I responded this way? I think the answer is inevitably because I had been brainwashed by family, peers, and society into thinking that my hair was “bad.” Oh no, my reference to bad hair must imply that there is such a thing as “good” hair. Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit that all hair is good. WHY? Because God designed us all just the way he intended for us to be. On the sixth day, when God created man, He “… saw all that he had made, and it was very good.” (Gen 1:31)

Now, when I was not putting chemicals in my hair for a period of 3 years, I may have gone 6 months without even needing a trim, and I rarely experienced any breakage. My hair was obedient. When I explained this to many, they didn’t believe because how could my “nappy” hair be obedient? The soft curls of my hair had been trained to do anything I asked them to do and my healthy hair was the talk of the office at one point. Still, many of the co-workers cringed at the thought of possibly having to show these curls or sweating out their press. I offered them evidence that my hair would do what I liked even if I worked out for an hour because it had indeed been trained. My hair was straightened very often, and even straighter than the hair of those who were getting “relaxers.” My hair was longer than it ever had been and much thicker than any chemical treatment had been able to give me.

Now my story is a two part story simply because I had gone without chemicals for 3 years when I allowed someone to “relax” my hair shortly after the birth of my son. I experienced the loss of 6-8 inches of hair over a 6 month period and had bald patches. I cried every time I washed my hair and noticed the enormous amounts of breakage. Others would often compliment my hair and tell me how good of a “perm” I had. I knew the truth, and my hair was bland. I had little movement and less body. I longed for my old stylist to cut away and start anew without chemicals.

When I relocated back to Atlanta, I wasted no time getting back to Ms. Tia Majors at L’Image Full Service Salon in Buckhead. She had to cut my hair to start the uphill battle to reclaiming my healthy hair and length, but I was ready for whatever. I knew I was on the right track when my boyfriend rubbed his hands through my hair. I enjoyed this little affirmation. Since then though, I have seen my hair grow about three inches back. I love the movement of it, and I am excited at the possibilities of my curls, color, and twists.

I am still not ready for wearing extensions and weave, but to each his own. I want the kind of hair that I can run my hands through on occasion or that reminds me of my mom circa 1984. I like to hear my guy compliment my hair. His excitement about seeing particular styles makes me giggle. Somehow, I have become that girl who likes to see her guy smile about her hair.

Now, I am no one to “hate” on a particular type hair treatment. I am only documenting what happened to me. If the hair is healthy, do your thing!

Miss Jessie’s Sleepover 9/25/09 at Tiffaney’s place….come get some information on how to treat your curls with this product. $15 admission to cover the stylists coming out on a Friday night. They will also bring product to sell. http://www.missjessies.com/

(Psalm 139: 13-14) For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

For more info on the Miss Jessie's Sleepover, call Tiffaney at 404-200-7911 or email at designergenesllc@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment